Mechanical and electrical engineering services for the conversion of four existing historic buildings (a two story fire station, three story car dealership and two, 4-story warehouses) into a 60 unit apartment building complex. Received The 2007 Historic Preservation Project Award from The Baltimore Heritage Foundation.
- The HVAC system consisted of split gas fired air conditioning units. The indoor upflow gas fired furnace was located in a mechanical closet within the apartment unit and related outdoor condensing units were located on the roof. The hallways were served by the packaged gas fired roof top units. Common areas such as the lounge, washer/dryer rooms, elevator machine room, etc. were served by individual split air conditioning units.
- Some of the apartment units did not stack and careful planning and coordination took place in order to route the flue and condensate drain piping from the gas fired furnaces through the floors and up through the roof.
- There were three gas meter rooms located in the basement or first floor of various buildings. The gas meters for the respective apartment units within each building were located in the gas meter room. Individual gas piping was routed from the gas meters to the gas fired furnace, water heater, etc. for each apartment unit.
- Indoor parking was provided on the first floor of the existing four story warehouse building. Adequate openings through the above ground perimeter walls were provided in order to avoid the requirement to ventilate the garage area. Floor drains were provided for the parking garage. The drain piping was extended from the floor drains into an underground oil interceptor.
- The plumbing design consisting of drain, vent and domestic cold and hot water piping was provided for all plumbing fixtures throughout the apartment complex.
- The electrical design consisted of calculations for sizing the new electrical service to the buildings and related power distribution design for individual apartment units and common areas. Designed the electrical meter layout and coordinated the required space needed for all electrical equipment inside the electrical rooms. Coordinated all work with the local utility company.
- Designed the lighting, power, communication, data and fire alarm system for each apartment unit and all common areas.